Categories
World News

Top general Mark Milley says we ‘don’t take oath to a tyrant or dictator’ in jab after Trump purged Pentagon leadership

TOP general Mark Milley reassured the public on Wednesday that we "don’t take oath to a tyrant or dictator" in a jab at President Donald Trump after a Pentagon leadership purge.

General Mark Milley addressed his audience on Veterans Day at Fort Belvoir in Virginia.



His speech comes as President Trump "terminated" Secretary of Defense Mark Esper through Twitter earlier this week – and replaced him with counter-terrorism chief Christopher Miller.

In addition to the abrupt change, the Trump administration has alsoinstalled three White House loyalists to senior Pentagon policy positions.

Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on Wednesday: “We are unique among armies. We are unique among militaries.

“We do not take an oath to a king or a queen, a tyrant or a dictator.

"We do not take an oath to an individual. No, we do not take an oath to a country, a tribe or a religion."

He added: "We take an oath to the Constitution, and every soldier that is represented in this museum – every sailor, airman, marine, coastguard – each of us protects and defends that document, regardless of personal price."

It is unknown what has sparked the president to make the recent changes in the White House, but worries loom as some suspect it has something to do with Trump refusing to concede defeat.

The president has refused to admit his loss to Biden – who was announced as the President-elect by major news outlets on November 7 – as he has alleged the election was "fraudulent."

Trump's campaign team has since launched multiple lawsuits in battleground states claiming widespread "voter fraud."

Miller, the Acting Secretary of Defense Miller, has spoken out for the second time since Trump installed him in the Pentagon, according to a CNN reporter.

He reportedly said: “I want to assure the American public, and our allies and partners, that the Department of Defense remains strong and continues its vital work of protecting our homeland, our people, and our interests around the world.”

Miller is a former soldier, who served as Senior Director for Counterterrorism and Transnational Threats at the National Security Council (NSC) until December 2019.

However, questions have arisen on why Esper was outed, on whether the president plans to enact police changes in his final days in office, and if Trump would attempt to use the military to keep him in office past Inauguration Day.

Back in August, Milley told Congress that if there is a "dispute over some aspect of the elections, by law U.S. courts and the U.S. Congress are required to resolve any disputes, not the U.S. military.”

Following Esper's Monday firing, top Pentagon policy official James Anderson, intelligence official Joseph Kernan, and Jon Stewart, Esper's chief of staff, submitted resignation letters the next day.

Miller's statement read: "I want to thank Dr. Anderson, Admiral Kernan and Jen Stewart for their service to the nation and the Department,.

"Over their careers each has contributed greatly to the national defense and the future of the Department of Defense. We wish them the best in their next endeavors."

Meanwhile, Trump's adviser Peter Navarro said Friday that the White House is “moving forward under assumption of second Trump term."

Navarro spoke to Fox Business outside the White House and said the Trump administration has “what appears in some sense to be an immaculate deception.”

Navarro continued to claim that Trump won the election, “If you look statistically at what happened, clearly the president won this election, he was leading on Election Day.

“And then, after Election Day somehow in these key battleground states, they got just enough votes to catch up to the president,” Navarro added.

Source: Read Full Article